Maud Humphrey

Maud Humphrey

Monday, May 30, 2016

Effanbee Tonner 14" Party Pink PATSY Doll

My youngest is seven, and I am determined to make a life-long doll lover out of her!  (My oldest daughter lost interest in dolls once she became a teenager, and my middle daughter only ever liked stuffed animals.)  I use every major holiday as an excuse to add another cutie to her collection, in the hopes of holding her interest.  So far, so good.  This picture was taken on Easter, just after she had found her basket:

Do you see the darling little doll amidst the other goodies?

A closer shot

She really is just the cutest little thing ever!  This is an Effanbee Patsy doll, designed by Robert Tonner back in 2003.  I think her "official" name was Party Pink Patsy.

She is modeled after the composition Patsy dolls from the 1930's.

This little Patsy is made completely of strung vinyl.  Her right arm is bent and her left arm is straight, just like the original Patsys.

When I found her at a local doll show the day before Easter, I just knew she'd be the perfect addition to my daughter's Easter basket.   I have always been partial to pale blondes dressed in pink, and this sweetie is no exception.  There is just too much cuteness to resist!

Here she is, posing with an American Girl Angelina Ballerina Pram which I recently acquired through Ebay.  The baby in the pram is a Zapf Mini Baby Born doll.

I am very impressed with the quality of the pram.  The undercarriage and side handles are metal, the plastic is thick and sturdy, and the fabric hood actually opens and closes.  Originally, this pram came with a white satin pillow and blanket.  Since mine no longer had that, I substituted a pink satin, lace trimmed pillow I had lying around.  The Zapf baby is about 4" tall and fits well in the pram.  American Girl has made some wonderful accessories in the past, and this is one of them.  You can still find them readily available on Ebay in the $20-30 range.

This is such a great prop for dolls.

In case you don't know the story behind the Patsy doll, here's a brief history:  The Effanbee doll company first introduced the all composition Patsy doll back in 1928.  She was based on the very popular Armand Marseille "Just Me" bisque doll which had first been very popular in Europe.  The Vogue doll company decided to import these dolls and dress them to sell in the United States.

Here is an actual, antique "Just Me" doll with bisque head and composition body.  Can you see how similar her face is to my vinyl Patsy?

And here is a composition Patsy from the 1930's which Robert Tonner modeled his vinyl versions after.  They all have a cute, little rosebud mouth.

Isn't she just so sweet?

These dolls are no longer being made, but you can find them on Ebay or other online doll sites.  Their prices are all over the board, just depending on the seller.  I was able to purchase mine for just $35 at the doll show.  If you ever find one for a good price, don't hesitate to snap it up.  They are just too adorable, and you will smile every time you look at that sweet little face!





3 comments:

  1. She is very sweet! Looks like your daughter loves her very much. :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are really sweet dolls! She's the perfect example of how some dolls are way cuter in person. I used to see these dolls on the internet and never gave them a second look, but when I saw her in person, I was instantly smitten!

      Delete
  2. I found one of these at the thrift shop for $2. She wasn't dressed but she was pristine. I wasn't sure what doll it was when it was all wrapped up, but I could tell how special she was anyway. I am also trying to make my daughter a doll lover. I am definitely more into them than she is, though she might get there.

    ReplyDelete