The young ladies in my sewing class expressed an interest a while back in sewing this pattern:
I am pleased to say that I finally got around to making it! And just in time, too, since I will be teaching my students to make this in a just a few days.
Here is my version (which I think is much cuter than McCall's version!):
It has a zippered front opening, real screen on the windows, and rolled up window shades.
Detail on the upper front.
Door flaps opened and pulled back
McCall's did a good job with all of the cute details on this pattern. However, I chose to omit the almost 6 yards of bias binding which they used for accent...I didn't feel like it was necessary.
Back of tent with screening in upper window.
Felicity is interested in this new contraption. She wonders how it will work for her...
Hmmm...not bad. There's even room for a friend!
Felicity says this would be more comfortable if I would have made her the matching sleeping bag shown on the pattern envelope!
Of course, I almost NEVER make a pattern exactly like instructed...here are the changes I made: First, and already mentioned, I omitted the decorative bias binding. I also chose to construct the windows differently, sandwiching the screen in between the main fabric and lining, instead of just sewing it to inside of the tent. To do this, I folded in 1/4" seam allowance along all edges on the windows of both the main fabric and the contrast lining...I carefully placed the screen in between the two layers and then edge-stitched around the window opening, catching all the layers. I also had to cut my main tent piece pattern as two pieces which I then added 1/4" seam allowance to on one edge before sewing back together. The original pattern piece has you placing it on the fold and cutting it out as one piece. However, since my fabric is directional, and I didn't want my deer heads upside down on one side of the tent, I remedied this by cutting two pieces. I omitted the dowels in the bottom of the window shades...this was unintentional...I simply forgot to add them until I was all finished! But the shades don't really need them, so all's good.
And now...here are just a few pictures to show the newest members to have joined our doll family today:
Petitcollin dolls sculpted by Sylvia Natterer, one of my favorite doll artists!
13 1/2" tall. Isn't she precious with her fuzzy pink coat? I have wanted this doll for SO long. But she has been on back order for a long time, so I had to be patient and wait. When she finally came back into stock at www.Petalinadolls.co.uk , I snatched her up right away.
13 1/2" tall. Doesn't she have the most beautiful coloring?
Mona also comes with her own, little doll, made like the original Petitcollin celluloid dolls of long ago.
11" tall. While the other two dolls have vinyl bodies, this little sweetie has a cloth body with vinyl limbs. She makes the perfect little sister. Her hair is quite wild, though! You can't see much of it in this photo since I have it tucked into her hood, but trust me...there's a lot of it and definitely needs some styling.
I REALLY love all of the Natterer Petitcollin dolls. I already have my eye on a this cute, little fellow:
13 1/2" Antonin
And this lovely lady:
Oh, so many dolls, and so little money!
I will be back soon with a post that goes more into detail on these lovely Petitcollin dolls. They just arrived today, and I was too excited not to share them with you!