I bought this pattern several months ago and finally got around to stitching up a couple of the pieces. I just love this era of clothing...reminds me of the Titanic and Downton Abbey.
First, I decided to make View C, the sailor dress. I have a huge weakness for nautical style clothing.
I think this is the FIRST time I've ever sewed a pattern where I pretty much followed the instructions as written. I almost always end up making major changes. But this time, I resisted the urge and followed the instructions, step by step.
The hardest thing for me was not lining the bodice--I love to line bodices! I just think it makes them look so much cleaner and finished inside. However, I restrained myself and made simple neck facings, like the pattern called for, and it actually turned out quite well. I did finish all the raw edges with a tight zig zag, just to keep everything looking neat and tidy.
The dress opens completely down the back and fastens with five buttons. The sixth button (at the waistband) is decorative and sits over a snap. The main fabric is a pretty, woven plaid which I've had for years. I like it because it doesn't have a "right" or "wrong" side. The collar, sleeve cuffs and welts were made from a lightweight linen.
The collar is removable. Here is the dress without it. I think it looks cute both ways. I love the detail of the sleeve cuffs and the little welts at the front of the skirt. I couldn't resist and also made a matching hair bow.
Next up, I made the coat and matching hat. How cute is this??? Again, I followed the pattern instructions exactly. It wasn't as difficult to do, since the coat is completely lined--just like a real garment. I used a recycled, light blue linen skirt which I had picked up at the thrift store long ago for the outer fabric, and a quilter's cotton from my stash for the lining.
It fastens down the front with four buttons, and there are four, additional buttons which are attached to the tabs at each side of the top of the pleated skirt.
Back view--I did have to run to the fabric store to buy the trim which I attached to the collar. I just didn't have anything in my stash that was small enough and in the right color to work. Oh, and I had to pick up buttons. I do have a large button jar, but finding eight, matching buttons just wasn't going to happen.
I LOVE this little coat and hat! The hat, by the way, was super simple to make. Just a large, circle of fabric which is gathered to a band.
And here's a peek of the lining.
Sewing for dolls is so much fun.