Maud Humphrey

Maud Humphrey

Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Two New Projects

Son #2 is in Afghanistan right now, serving with the US Army. I am super-proud of him, but not a day goes by that I don't feel a little anxious for his safety. We get to talk to him maybe twice a week, and it's just so wonderful to hear his voice. The last time we spoke, he requested I send him a pillowcase in his next care package, and this is what I came up with. Of course, I couldn't just go out and buy a ready-made one...what fun would that be? So I exhausted a little bit more of my fabric stash and whipped up this cute case. The Mickey print is flannel; the other two fabrics are quilter's cottons. I hope it brings a smile to his face and a sweet dreams when he sleeps.



Remember the little doll bonnet I crocheted a short while ago? Well, this is the matching dress! Unfortunately, that bonnet was too big to fit this doll, and this dress was too small to fit the other doll that modeled the bonnet! Oh, well. I am mainly doing these little doll projects so that I can get more proficient at crochet. But didn't it turn out cute? It actually made up pretty quickly, and only took me a couple of afternoons.
The back closes with two, tiny buttons. The neckline turned out a little wider than I would have liked for this doll, so if I try it again, I will adjust that. But for the most part, I am very happy with how this turned out. There are matching panties for this outfit...I may try those tonight, and maybe try to make a smaller bonnet, too.

I have a dress almost completed for my youngest--I just need to attach the shoulder straps and side ties. So hopefully, that will be my next post. But my little model has been under-the-weather for the past couple of days, so I'll need to wait until she's ready to try it on for me. Dresses always look better on a real, live child than hanging on a hanger. And all the beautiful sun we had over Easter weekend? GONE. So we may end up taking pictures indoors (not my first choice), unless we get a good break in the rain. Ah, the joys of living in the Pacific Northwest!

1 comment:

  1. He's gonna LOVE his new pillowcase! Very cute! And the doll dress is adorable. You are so talented in pretty much anything you touch!!

    ReplyDelete