Maud Humphrey

Maud Humphrey

Thursday, July 9, 2020

Restringing a Vintage Gotz All-Vinyl Baby

I've had this 14 1/2" vintage Gotz baby in my collection for a few years.  She is all vinyl, but also twists at the waist!  I bought her from eBay knowing her joints were loose, but they weren't too bad, so I just left her alone.  As I was straightening up in my doll room today, I came across her and decided that today was the day.  (I was supposed to be cleaning, so I suppose this was my way of procrastinating!)  After I determined I had the right elastic to complete the project, I pulled out an arm and snipped the elastic cord.  Here she is after I removed her arms from her body.  As you can see, they are attached using plastic "cups" that are shoved into the arm holes.  I did use my trusty blow drier to first soften the vinyl before using pliers to pull out the cups.


Next to be cut off were the legs.  The cord actually runs from one leg, up through the torso, into the head, back down he torso, and ends in the other leg.


All the body parts


I simply shoved the elastic through the cup and knotted the end.  This is how it was assembled originally.


I shoved the cup with the knotted cord back into the leg hole.  Then, the cord was threaded up through both torso pieces.  I decided to cut the cord at the top and then repeat the process with the other leg.  The originally assembly had the cord doubled over at the top and then knotted, but I thought this would be a little more difficult to shove the tightened cup up into the head cavity.  


I decided to replace the original, plastic cup in the head with this trusty button, instead.

The back side of the shank button.  I have used these buttons for many, many doll restringing projects.  I got them at JoAnn's.  Last time I was there, they still had them.


I threaded the elastic from one leg through the shank button.  The button was then shoved up into the head.  Then I tied both ends of the elastic cord together and pulled them as tightly as I could.  Once I knotted them, I clipped off the ends and the head was now nice and secure!


The last thing to string was the arms.  Again, I knotted the elastic after threading it through one cup, and then shoved the cup into the arm cavity.  The elastic was then threaded through the body and into the remaining cup.  I pulled it tight and then knotted it.  This last part is the probably the most awkward...now I had to shove the tightened cup into the other arm cavity.  But with a little bit of brute force and a trusty pair of pliers, I got it done!



All done!  Baby can hold a pose again!


I redressed her in her original outfit, which consists of a knitted sweater, a matching hat, and a sleeveless, long-legged bodysuit underneath.  I wasn't completely in love with it, so I decided to add a sweet, pink taffeta dress and bloomer panties which I pulled off a thrift store doll long ago.  How cute is she now?!?


She's such a little pumpkin now!  I love her.  I have another one just like her, but with blonde hair.  That one came to me nude, so I will have find/make her some clothes and then I can share "the twins" with you.  It's amazing what a little rehab and some cute clothes can do!


And speaking of cute...here are my two English Budgies, Pippin and Bobbin.  They like to hang out on my lap top while I peruse the internet.  Here, Bobbin is preening Pippin.  They are such sweet birds, and great company in my sewing/doll room!








2 comments:

  1. She is very sweet and you did a great job restringing her. Dressed very sweetly too. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much! She is a cute, little thing!

    ReplyDelete