Maud Humphrey

Maud Humphrey

Sunday, May 24, 2020

New Sewing for American Girl Dolls SAMANTHA & REBECCA

This past week I made two new dresses.  Samantha received a Keeper's Dolly Duds pattern I've made before, called "1914 Pleated Frock", and Rebecca got a dress from the book "Doll Dress Boutique" by Erin Hentzel.  I have a couple of Erin's books, but this was the first time I've actually sewed something from them.


I don't know why I decided to sew the 1914 Pleated Frock again, except that I came across the fabric the other day while I was organizing my sewing drawers, and thought how pretty the colors and pattern would be in a dress for Samantha.

It has details which are so pretty, like the pleated skirt, the curved waistband that folds down over the pleated skirt, the cuffed sleeves, and the bodice lapels.  It's actually a fairly easy sew if you take it slowly.  

The pattern calls for little, decorative buttons to be sewn down the front of the bodice which I did in my first dress, but this time I left them off.  I felt like the fabric was busy enough and didn't really need them.  Besides, I also couldn't find the exact shade of white I wanted in my button stash, and goodness knows I'm not going to go to JoAnn's right now to stand in the horrific long lines for some buttons.

The sleeve cuffs and bodice lapels are from a cotton/linen blend fabric with a window-pane check.  I've had it forever and can't even remember where I bought it.  I must have originally bought a few yards, and have used it in numerous outfits, both for people and dolls.  I will be sad when it's finally gone.

Isn't my Samantha so sweet?

Matching hair bow on a clip

The back opens all the way to the hem and fastens with snaps under decorative buttons.

And here is Rebecca, in her new dress.  It is from Chapter Seven in the book, titled "Princess-Seamed Dresses".

I used the same linen/cotton window-pane check fabric for her collar and hem-band.  

I embroidered flowers on the collars to match the ones in the fabric.  The sleeve ruffles are from a cotton voile.

She also got a matching hair bow!

Dress opens partially down the back and is secured again with snaps under decorative buttons.

Rebecca makes such a pretty model.

Here it looks as though Rebecca has spotted something in the grass.  In reality, I was having a very difficult time getting her to balance, and this was as good as it was going to get!

I will be keeping Samantha's dress (unless I decide to sell it), but Rebecca's dress is getting mailed away soon to a complete stranger!  I'll be sad to see it go, but I joined a doll dress swap on a Facebook group I'm a part of, and this is the dress I made to mail off to my swap partner.  In return, I will be receiving one from her, too!  Now I'm seriously considering making myself another one of these dresses, just so I'll have one to keep.

Front cover of the book which has many delightful patterns inside.

Back cover

It was a perfectly sunny day to just lie in the grass and tell secrets.



















4 comments:

  1. Just lovely, Angela; I love them both.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So pretty! I know how to sew but I'm not very good at it. These dresses are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you! Pick an easier pattern (perhaps something sleeveless) and just go slowly. Read the instructions carefully and go step by step. You can do it! Every outfit you complete will give you the confidence to tackle the next one, and then you'll just keep getting better and better!

    ReplyDelete