Maud Humphrey

Maud Humphrey

Sunday, July 12, 2020

Gotz EMILIA and MILA in MORITZ Happy Kidz Dolls

Sometime last year, Gotz came out with a new Happy Kidz doll named Emilia.  She was a brown-eyed brunette and had a new face mold that was very different from their other, pleasantly smiling dolls.  I wasn't sure how much I liked her, so I passed on ordering her.  Well, after seeing everyone else posting pictures of their beautiful Emilias online, I fell in love with her solemn face and went to order one for myself.  Only by then, she was all sold out...everywhere!  Just my luck.  However, Gotz assured everyone that new stock would be coming in again within a few months, so I patiently waited.  I finally got a confirmation from an online doll shop that she was once again available, so I eagerly placed my order.  Not even a week later, this same doll shop let me know that Gotz was soon to be releasing a new Happy Kidz doll named Mila.  Mila had the same face mold as Emilia, only she had green eyes and red hair.  RED hair!  I'm a sucker for red-headed dolls, ever since my beautiful, red-haired daughter-in-law married my son.  Mila was also a limited edition, which meant that once she sold out, there would be no more new stock.  But did I really need a second doll with the same face?  Um...YES!  I knew that if I passed her by I would probably regret it later, so I took the plunge and ordered Mila as well!

This is Emilia's stock photo.  Can you see what I mean about her expression being a little different than regular smiling dolls?  And what's up with that weird hat/headband thing?  So strange.

And this was Mila.  She also came with a stuffed dog, but I don't think he's very cute either. 

The outfits these newer Gotz dolls come in are not very cute, in my opinion.  So I immediately remove them and make them something a little more to my taste, like pretty, feminine dresses and pinafores!


Emilia's dress is made from a quilter's cotton, and her pinafore is cut from a vintage placemat in the prettiest shade of peachy/pink.





Isn't she just beautiful?

Now here's her twin, Mila:
Mila's dress is also from quilter's cotton.  Her apron is cut from a vintage handkerchief.

She has a large bow tied in her hair, like little girls used to wear long ago.


I set her hair on sponge rollers the night before these photos so she could have pretty ringlets.


These dolls stand approximately 18" tall.  They are all-vinyl, with additional joints at the knees and elbows.  They have rooted hair and stationary eyes.  Some people have complained that the quality of Gotz dolls has gone down considerably with these newer dolls, and that their hair especially can be sparse and thin.  Fortunately, my dolls don't seem to have this problem.  Their hair might not be as thick as some of my older Gotz dolls, but it is nicely rooted and looks more like real hair, in my opinion. 

Neither of these dolls is currently available to purchase new online.  Because Mila was a limited edition, her run is done.  It's possible that Emilia may be brought back again, but your best bet to purchase either one of these lovely dolls right now is on the secondary market, like eBay.


8 comments:

  1. Such beautiful dolls! and although I don;t mind the original outfits for playing and tree climbing, I ADORE the dresses and pinafores you have made for them. Beautiful!
    Blessings! ~Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I do love making dresses and pinafores, but I was just thinking the other day that I should try making some cute shorts and tops, too!

      Delete
  2. You do make the prettiest doll dresses and pinafores, I still treasure the dress you made for the Callie doll that I bought from you. I have been stopping in to see your posts but I don't think you get my comments.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I feel so bad! This past year has been crazy, and I kind of forgot about my little blog! I just saw your comment and back to posting again. Thank you for your kind compliments on my doll dresses!

      Delete
  3. Hi Angela! If you're still into Karito Kids dolls (I found you via a doll you found thrifting and fixed up), we'd love to have you in the Karito Kids Fanclub on Facebook! So far it's the only Karito Kids group around, so we're pretty close-knit and enjoy sharing photos, sewing patterns, and Etsy shops (or personal sites for doll clothes).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't currently own any Karito Kids, but thank you for the invite! I will keep you in mind if another one comes my way and I decide to keep her!

      Delete
  4. What beautiful clothes you dressed your girls in ... so much better than the original outfits. 🥰 I must admit I tend to redress all my dolls, unless their outfits are exceptionally well made (which is not often these days). I love the red haired girl the best.
    Big hugs,
    X

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much! I love sewing for these dolls.

    ReplyDelete