Maud Humphrey

Maud Humphrey

Thursday, June 9, 2016

Sasha Baby!

I have been having a lucky streak at Goodwill lately...I certainly can't explain it, but I'm not complaining!  Here is what I found yesterday, lying on the floor (poor little thing!) in the middle of the toy aisle:

A Sasha Baby!

I have been interested in these dolls for quite some time, especially the babies.  I don't know that much about them, though, other than what I have gleaned from the internet.

Sasha Morgenthaler was the Swiss creator of the "Sasha" doll whose production started in the late 1960's.  Two companies produced these dolls:  Frido (later Trendon) in the UK, and Gotz in Germany.  There were 16" girls and boys made, along with these adorable, 11 1/2" babies.

This little cutie did not have any clothes when I found him (or her?), but I just happened to have a little vintage romper that will do temporarily.  I'd like to make a sweet, little, smocked dress out of some fine wale corduroy that's languishing in my fabric stash.  And maybe knit a little bonnet.

UK production of these dolls went from 1966-1986, and the Gotz production had two runs:  1965-69 and again from 1995-2001.  They are no longer being manufactured, and some examples can command quite high prices.  These dolls are extremely popular with collectors.  I wish I could find out more about this particular baby, but the only thing I know for sure is that she was made in the UK, since she has no markings on her.  Apparently the German Sashas are marked on the back of the neck and body.  All Sashas came with a little wrist tag, but of course, mine no longer has hers.

I really do think she is the sweetest little thing.  When you hold her, you can feel the quality in the weight of her vinyl and the way she is strung.  Our public library used to carry a book on Sasha dolls, but when I went to look for it, they no longer own it.  Bummer!  I love finding out the history behind the dolls I own.  Oh, well.  I guess I'll just have to keep searching the internet.  Maybe somebody reading this might have more information for me?






2 comments:

  1. Wow! You are definitely on a roll! Sasha dolls are very collectible and your little one is very cute. A toddler was also made which looks a lot like the baby but has straight legs and can stand up like the 16" dolls. They are hard to find, but I have seen a few on ebay over the years. I have never owned one but have admired for a long time. Congrats on your awesome dolly find! :o)
    ~Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's a toddler, too? How adorable! I've never seen one--they must be quite rare. I really need to get my hands on a reference book and do more research on these fascinating dolls!

      Delete