Maud Humphrey

Maud Humphrey

Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Simplicity 9570

As I was searching through Sophie's dresser looking for a pretty top to go along with her new Edith Twirl Skirt, I realized that she didn't have anything other than casual shirts. And because I wanted something a little more dressy for her to wear to church, I decided I should probably just make her something. So out came this pattern for a cute little dress or cropped top, which I picked up at a local thrift store a while back. The pattern is part of Simplicity's "It's So EASY!" line, and let me tell you, it really was.
Please excuse the look of my pouting model. We had just returned home from church and she didn't want her picture taken.
But because she's two, it only took her a split second to change her mind, and suddenly she bacame a willing participant!
The pattern is made up of three pieces--a front, a back, and a sleeve. I went for a length in between the dress and the cropped top by hacking off about 10" from the hem. The only real change I made was by adding an underbust casing to the bodice. Elastic gathers this area, along with the neckline and sleeves. There is no zipper or button placket--the whole thing simply slips over the head. I think it took me longer to cut out the pattern than it did to sew it! The fabric is 100% sheer cotton, probably a voile, but I can't remember exactly. I added a pretty lace along the hem, and the whole blouse just flows and drapes so nicely.
Success! I got lots of compliments at church about how darling her outfit was, so I'm seriously considering making at least one more skirt and blouse combination. Heaven knows I have enough fabric!

No comments:

Post a Comment