Lately, I've felt the urge to create storybook costumes for my dolls. Matilda looked like the perfect character to portray Little Red.
I created her cloak from a thrifted women's skirt. At first, I thought it was a lightweight wool, but the tag listed it as 100% silk. It has such a nice, nubby texture and drape.
The cloak is fully lined with quilter's cotton. I didn't get a close-up photo, but it is a lovely, muted shade of greenish brown with tiny red flowers.
I made a self fabric ruffle to frame her pretty face.
The hood is oversized because I like the look of a drapey hood.
The ties are also made from the same fabric.
Of course, Matilda needed a new dress to go along with her new cape!
I used the same pattern I drafted for the puffed-sleeve dresses I've made, only this time, I made long sleeves. They are two part sleeves--the uppers are puffed and then gathered to a long, straight cuff.
I love the pinafore. It was made from a piece of vintage linen which had already been cut and sewed into the basic shape. All I had to do was add the shoulder straps (from another vintage linen), add a back opening with a placket which closes with snaps, and hem it.
Oh, how I love the sweetness of this look!
And finally, here is what the dress looks like without the pinafore.
I used another piece of antique, eyelet embroidery from my stash for the bodice.
The cuffs are edged with another eyelet.
It closes in back with snaps under decorative buttons.
I used a vintage, crocheted lace to edge the hem.
Matilda has the prettiest, long hair.
Sewing for these dolls is so much fun! They are so easy to pose and have wonderful proportions. I've already determined that my next outfit will be "Little Bo Peep" for Amelia. I have a pretty, pale, pink thrifted skirt in my stash which I think will be just perfect!