Maud Humphrey

Maud Humphrey

Sunday, March 8, 2020

Unmarked, Big, Happy Baby Doll with Caracul Wig!


Oh, I have a love/hate relationship with Goodwill.  Anybody else?!?  Most of the times, I search and search and never find much.  Is it just me, or is anybody else wondering where all the dolls have gone?  The toy aisles are consistently filled with plastic toys that make all kinds of annoying noises, but pretty dolls are getting harder and harder to find.  Right now, the ones I seem to run across the most are the 18" Our Generation line from Target, and the "My Life As" 18" dolls from Walmart.  Also, the Disney knock-off princess toddler dolls seem to be popular as well.  I don't even find many Barbies anymore.  But every now and then, just when I've given up
, I find something that restores my hope in finding a nice doll.  


Just look at one of my recent finds!


This 24" cutie is unmarked, except for "24" on the back of her head.  Maybe identifying her size?

She has a hard plastic head, cloth body, and composition limbs.  She is most likely a transitional doll from when plastic was first introduced, yet they were still trying to use up their composition body parts.  

She has a cute, soft, caracul wig.  There is one, little bald patch in the back, but nothing that a sweet, little bonnet can't cover!

Her only marking

She was not dressed nearly as cute when I found her.  The dress she came in, while sweet, was much too modern for her era.  I found this darling, pale yellow baby dress in my stash, along with a bonnet that almost exactly matches!  I just love it when that happens.  

Sorry for the slightly out-of-focus picture, but it's the only I got with these precious, hand-knit baby booties.

She has beautiful, thick eyelashes.  This makes me so happy, since many times these old babies are missing chunks of lashes, if not all of them.  Isn't that Peter Rabbit stuffy so cute?  He came from Goodwill too, and I just couldn't leave him behind.

I was initially going to sell this baby.  I bought her for a mere $4, and thought I could make a little profit with her.  Well, once I dressed her and took her pictures, I fell in love and decided she needed to live with me for a while!

I wish I knew exactly who made her, but there were so many companies around that didn't mark their dolls.  I believe she's most likely from the late 1940's.

Can you imagine being a little girl and seeing this sweetie under the tree on Christmas morning?  They just don't make dolls like this anymore.  












2 comments:

  1. She's gorgeous! I reckon the little kid who owned this one was pretty stoked to have her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree...what beautiful baby dolls little girls used to have! What a far cry from what's currently available on the toy shelves today.

    ReplyDelete