Maud Humphrey

Maud Humphrey

Thursday, March 26, 2020

Pandemic Sewing--11 New Doll Dresses

Anybody else doing pandemic sewing?  I can't imagine I'm the only one!  With all of this time at home and no outside commitments, I've been able to spend more time in my sewing room.  I had the best laid plans to get things deep cleaned and organized...but then I got sidetracked with all of my pretty fabric and suddenly I found myself sewing 11 new doll dresses!
They are all the same style except for the one in the center front.


I was complaining to my myself about a month ago how I hadn't seen any Journey Girl dolls in the thrift stores in a long time.  And then, in the matter of a couple of weeks, I found five, all on separate days and locations!  And all different!  Of course, they were all naked and had stains and messed up hair, but I'm a glutton for punishment, I suppose.  I also came across an 18" Gotz Pottery Barn doll, and an American Girl Lanie.  So I brought them home and gave them each a spa day.  
Journey Girls, left to right:  Meredith, Kelsey, Callie, Dana, & Chavonne

I've always thought that the Journey Girls have such pretty faces.  The older ones are my favorites, with their slightly more innocent looking face molds.  The newer ones also tend to have joint issues.  Thankfully, I didn't have to repair any of the joints on these girls.  Just some hair styling and stain removal from their vinyl.  The dress is just a simple, sleeveless bodice with a gathered skirt.  I added some trim at the waist to match the hemband.  I think they turned out really sweet.  I tried to pick colors that would compliment the doll's coloring.  Callie and Dana have silky, straight, long hair.  Meredith and Kelsey had their long hair set on rollers so they now have some pretty curls.  Chavonne has naturally curly hair and just needed a wash.

American Girl Lanie (2010 doll of the year) and a Gotz Pottery Barn doll (She had a red hair bow in the group picture, but then I switched it to a blue one here to match her dress).  I haven't been able to figure out her name.  I've seen plenty of these dolls with the brunette/brown eyes combo, or blonde hair/blue eyes, but none with brunette/blue eyes.  I guess I'll have to keep looking.  I found Lanie at an antique store back around Christmas.  I wish I would have taken a "before picture", because she was so pathetic looking.  She had black ink stains all up and down her legs.  Her hair was a tangled, frizzy mess.  I had no clue who she was until I got her home and started researching.  That's when I discovered that she was Lanie, American Girl's 2010 doll of the year.  I paid $15 for her because I knew I could probably save her.  After two months of treatment with 10% benzoyl peroxide cream on her vinyl, I finally got nearly all of the black stains removed from her legs.  I gave her hair some pretty curls back with sponge rollers.

Here dress is a similar style to all of the other dresses, but I had to make the bodice a wee bit larger because American Girl dolls are chubbier than Journey Girls.  I also added big pockets to the skirt and cute, little capped sleeves.  I just love the fabric and how it turned out!



Isn't she sweet?  I fully intended on selling her, but now I've sort of fallen in love with her!  (Darn it, that seems to happen every time!)  I will probably still try selling her in the future, but just enjoy her a bit for now.  Besides, with this whole pandemic thing going on right now, eBay sales have really hit a standstill.  So I probably won't list any dolls until things have returned back to normal.  Hopefully soon.  Although I can honestly say that I have enjoyed having to stay home.  I've only ventured out twice in the past two weeks, and those were both to just pick up some fresh produce at the neighborhood grocery store.  Lucky for me, I have a fabric/sewing stash that could last me for years before I run out!

These are the remaining four dresses that will fit Journey Girls or other slender, 18" dolls.  I was going to list these in my Etsy store, but with the ways things are going right now, maybe I should wait?  Are any of you having any luck with sales right now?  I suppose many people don't have jobs right now, or are waiting to see what happens with our economy before they make frivolous purchases again.  I'm really hoping things go back to normal soon.  I feel so bad for all of the small businesses that may not survive this storm, and everyone who may be struggling to make ends meet.  So far, my husband is still working because as a truck driver, his job is considered "essential".  Although, he drives for a lumber company, and our state has now shut down all business and residential construction.  He delivers to other states, though, so hopefully this won't affect him.  In the meanwhile, I will try not to worry and keep myself distracted with sewing and gardening.  

Stay safe, everyone, and fill your hours with things that bring you joy!


















4 comments:

  1. Boy, you did make Lanie look brand-new! These dresses are so sweet! There's more than one way to brighten up life during this coronavirus crap.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I find doll therapy the very best therapy of all. :)

      Delete