Maud Humphrey

Maud Humphrey

Friday, November 1, 2019

Journey Girls Doll Arm Repair

I found this cutie at Goodwill this past week.  I have always loved the Journey Girl faces.  I think they are some of the prettiest dolls in the 18" catagory.

Plus, ever since Toys R Us went out of business, it's hard to say how long they will be in production.  I know you can still buy them on Amazon, but for how long?  So whenever I find one I snap it up and try to bring her back to her former glory.  I'm a sucker for rehab projects.  I know I spend way more time and effort than the doll is probably worth, but it's FUN.  Especially when I get good results!

So, I didn't think this girl was going to need much help at all.  Maybe just a trip to the hair salon and a pretty new dress.  But then I was repositioning her arms and I heard a weird "click", and the next thing I knew, her arm was no longer connected to her body.

Poor Callie!

I have read a lot recently that the newer Journey Girls all seem to have this problem--joints that are stiff, hard to move, and easily broken.  How disappointing for a young child this would be!  So now my "easy" rehab suddenly became a little more difficult.  But not to worry.  I've restrung many a doll, so how hard could it be?

Hard.  What the heck even is this kind of joint?!?

This is the part that was inside the arm.  There used to be a peg attached that sort of swiveled and was attached to that weird contraption inside her shoulder cavity.  I used a hair dryer to soften the vinyl for a few minutes and then popped it out.

This is the intact joint from the good arm.  I decided to remove it too, since I didn't want to leave one arm with the potential of breaking in the future.

I don't have a picture of how I removed the weird plastic grid-like thing from the inside of her shoulder cavity.  But I basically heated up the vinyl and pulled it out with some pliers.  And then promptly threw it into the garbage.

But then I encountered this...the cavity is sealed up to the inside of her body!  What?!?  So in order to restring her the way I had planned, I would need to cut out the solid piece on both sides.  I heated the vinyl again, and used my Xacto knife to cut out a sloppy circle from each side.


Close up:

Here you can look through to the other side:
So here is where I figured it would be easy.  I would simply restring her like I have other dolls in the past, with my little wooden craft wheels, stringing cord, and brass sleeve crimpers.

Here I am, testing out to make sure the wooden wheel will fit inside the hole.  It did.

Here's the other wheel, strung with cord and ready to be inserted inside of the arm.
It was at this point that I realized that my hands were too big too be able to fit into such a tiny space, so I figured I'd have to open up her back seam and come in through her body in order to tighten the cords and crimp them (like you would do with an American Girl doll.  But guess what?  Her shoulder plate is completely sealed off with solid plastic!  That's right!  You can open up her back seam and start pulling out the stuffing, but then you run into the solid vinyl of the bottom of her shoulder plate.  Seriously?!?  What were the makers of these dolls thinking?  Could they have made it any more difficult?!?  I think not.

But not one to give up easily (my husband says I may be just a little bit stubborn!), I started thinking of another way I could reattach her arms.  And then it came to me...use some sort of discs where I could run a single piece of cord from one arm, through the body, through the other arm, and back to the first arm where I would tie it off.  Just like I do with most of my antique doll restorations.  But what could I use for the disc?

Buttons!

But not just any buttons...I came to the conclusion that they needed to be shank-style buttons with a large enough hole so that my stringing cord could fit through the shank with ease.  So off to JoAnn's I went.

I determined that they need to be about a 1 1/8" in diameter in order to fit nicely in the arm hole.  But not all of the buttons I found in that size had shanks with a big enough hole to accommodate my stringing cord.  Then I happened across these clock buttons.  $5 for a pack of 8, but with my 50% off coupon, they were only $2.50!  So a little over 31 cents apiece.  Not bad!  But would they work like I had envisioned?

Once again I used my trusty blow dryer to heat the vinyl.  Then I shoved the button, shank side up with cord already strung through, into the arm.

I pulled the cord ends through the body with my hemostat, strung one end onto another button, and shoved that button into the other arm.

Next, I tied both ends of cord together and pulled them as tight as I could.  I tied them in a triple knot and shoved the cord ends inside the body.


And voila!  Callie has arms again!  And they work!

They hold position perfectly.  Which begs the question...why couldn't the manufacturers of these dolls joint them this way in the first place?!?  Save all that plastic?  Ah, well.  All's well that ends well!  Or something like that.  And I feel proud and satisfied that I wa
s able to figure out another doll repair dilemma.  My great hope is that this might help out others who find themselves in the same situation.  So now she just needs a new dress and she'll be ready to go on to a new home!

In case you read my last post about the vintage Cissy doll I found, this is a rather disgusting picture of the black-ish water in the tub AFTER I rinsed her clothes in Oxy Clean all night.  Gross, right?  I can't believe how much dirt came out of her dress.


Before soaking it, I ran a basting thread all around the top of her skirt in order to keep all of the tiny pleats in place.  I didn't want them coming out in the wash and then have to try ironing them all back in!  Just in case you've forgotten, this is what her dress looked like before I washed it:



And here it is after!  It definitely looks much cleaner and fresher while standing up on a towel to dry.  I did notice that the tulle netting of this dress has some rips and chunks missing from along the hemline, but since it is such a full dress, it is not easily noticeable.  Now I'm trying to decide what I want to do about that...do I just leave it alone, or do I try to repair it somehow?  Is it even possible to find a tulle netting in the same shade and weight?  If so, I could make a ruffle and gather it to the lower portion of the skirt, disguising the problems underneath.  I just don't know.  I will leave it alone for now.  Currently, Cissy has her darkened arm slathered up in 10% benzoyl peroxide zit cream and is lying under my bedside lamp, in hopes of lightening up her vinyl.  I will also look for a make-up brush with some soft bristles in the same color as her eyelashes so I can replace the missing ones on her right eye.  I'll keep you posted on my progress!























18 comments:

  1. Oh boy, Cissy's dress looks great! I hope that "medicine" helps her arm some.

    I'm with you; WHYYYYY can't all doll companies just string their eighteen-inchers? It's good to see that you got Callie mended; I'd been wondering how one would reattach a Journey Girl arm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. RIGHT?!? Why do some doll companies have to make things so difficult? It actually looks like it would be more expensive and time consuming to manufacture the dolls with all of those horrible plastic parts than to just do a simple stringing system. And yes, Cissy's dress looks SO much better!

      Delete
  2. Hi, wonderful results with that dress! If you find tulle that will work with that old fine nylon, mention it, please! And your inventiveness. Gives me hope for reattaching a Baby Dolly Surprise ratchet arm. I don’t expect the ratchet to work again, but it’d be nice to have her arm back on ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't looked for any matching tulle yet. The only fabric store I have nearby is a JoAnn's, and I don't hold out much hope that they'll have something. I may need to go online. But I hate shopping for fabric online, as I can't touch it and see how it really looks and feels. But I'll keep you posted!

      Delete
  3. I think the Journey Girls are pretty too. You are a genius fixing her arms better than they were brand new. I have restrung my fair share of American Girl dolls, but never one of these. It's so nice for you to share instructions and photos of how to fix them. ~Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're welcome! My hope in posting these "fix it" articles is that more people will be able to restore their dolls instead of trashing them. I love that our doll community can go online and help each other!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow you are one brave woman!!! I love to clean things, but not fix them. That dirty dress was unbelievable....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was, wasn't it?!? I still haven't completely finished restoring this doll, but she is on my list!

      Delete
  6. I don't necessarily like fixing things, but if I'm presented with a problem, my mind goes into overdrive trying to figure out a solution! And then, once I've figured it out, I have that great satisfaction of knowing that I accomplished something I had no idea I could initially do! Plus, I hate giving up on a sweet doll. They deserve a second chance to be loved!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Can you tell me what the diameter of your stringing cord to fix the journey girl was? I found the exact buttons you used and wanted to be sure my cord fit!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, goodness! I don't know for sure, since this cord was gifted to me long ago by a friend. But I did my best to measure it with a little sewing gauge ruler that has centimeters broken down into millimeters, and to the best of my knowledge, it appears to be about 3mm. Hope this helps!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just happened onto this article searching for someone to repair my daughters' journey girl doll arm.. even with instructions its not up my alley. Would you consider me paying you to fix it for me???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would gladly fix it for you, but the cost of sending the doll both ways might cost more than you're willing to spend! Shipping charges have gotten so expensive lately...it's quite discouraging. Send me your zip code, and I'll give you a quote. Thank you!

      Delete
  10. Glad to find how you repaired those arms. I gave up and tossed the doll a few months ago. Now I know how to do it so I'll try harder next time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm pretty stubborn (according to my husband!) so I have a hard time throwing anything away without exhausting every avenue to try and figure out a solution. Guess that's my stubborn German heritage shining through!

      Delete
  11. Thank you so much for this post! Our daughter's doll's arm snapped off in exactly the same way and she was inconsolable. I don't think we would have even known there was a fix possible without your post.

    We read yours and a few others, and I just want to let people know what we ended up doing, because it was a slight modification of a couple techniques. We cleaned out the connector part inside the torso. My husband used a bowl of hot water to soak the arm and remove the ball joint from the shoulder. We decided to use your technique of removing both arms and cabling them to each other. By chance, he already had a bungee cord in the garage that was approx 1/4" thick. When we looked at the ball, the cord seemed to be just the right thickness to fit through the ball and then be held in place by a knot tied tightly on the far side of the ball.

    We ran the bungee through the ball, tied one knot, then warmed the arm in hot water and fitted the ball back into the shoulder. We then ran the bungee through the torso, through the second ball, and tied a second knot as tightly as we could on the far side. (At this point, the doll had one arm correctly on one side, and one ball with a bungee knot on the other side of the torso.) We warmed the far arm in a bowl of hot water and popped the socket over the ball already in place.

    The whole fix was very simple and seems to be holding well. If we have to do it again, I may put a slim washer between the bungee knot and the shoulder ball, but for now it shows signs of holding.

    Thank you, and I hope this adaptation may be useful for someone out there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, yay! I'm glad I was able to help you! Thanks for sharing your method as well...hopefully others will now be able to fix their JG dolls instead of trashing them. I have heard that the new JG dolls that most recently came out have improved joints, so hopefully this will no longer be an issue!

      Delete