Maud Humphrey

Maud Humphrey

Tuesday, July 2, 2019

American Character TOODLES & McCalls 2468

A few months ago, I stumbled across this cutie at my favorite Goodwill store (it's my favorite because they are the only thrift store in our area that consistently offers vintage dolls).  I recognized her immediately as an American Character TOODLES.

24" tall and naked as a newborn!

She is marked "American Doll & Toy Corp. 1960" on the back of her neck, which is one of several ways that American Character marked their dolls.

She didn't look quite this good when I found her...she received a nice sponge bath and got her hair washed and conditioned.  She's in really nice condition for being nearly 60 years old!
One of the things that makes these dolls special is their "follow me" eyes.  No matter which way you turn her head, her eyes look like they're following you!  This is achieved by setting the pupil and iris quite deep underneath the surface of the eye.  Very ingenious!

I did not move this doll at all while photographing her, so here you can see exactly what I mean about her eyes being able to follow you.

I had a photocopy of a vintage pattern in my stash which I predicted would fit this doll.  It is McCalls 2468, for 21"-23" dolls of the era.  Even though Toodles is an inch taller, I figured the bodice would be just fine.  I cut view B, in the top right-hand corner.  I liked that it was sleeveless, but cut a little wider in the shoulders with added trim to look a bit like a sleeve.  I didn't have to make any adjustments whatsoever, and it fit perfectly!  I just love it when that happens.

I trimmed the bodice with a bias strip of the same fabric and edged both sides with rick-rack.  I also used rick-rack at the armhole edges and skirt hemline.  The only changes I made to this pattern were to line the bodice and use snaps to fasten it (under decorative buttons)  I really think it turned out so cute.

She even got a pair of matching panties, also from the McCall's pattern

Snaps are such an easier way to fasten doll clothing.

Her hair is still in nice condition with plenty of wavy curls near the ends.  I tied it back on the sides with pretty ribbons.

I wish I had some shoes for her, but for right now we're just going to pretend that she's a typical child who likes to run barefoot through the grass.

This little cutie will be heading off to Ebay soon.  As much as I'd like to keep her, I just don't have room for them all!

"Would you like to adopt me?  If so, head over here (after July 2) and check me out!"












1 comment: