Maud Humphrey

Maud Humphrey

Sunday, April 7, 2019

New Outfit for A Girl for All Time, CLEMENTINE

Several months ago, when I had a bunch of eBay bucks burning a hole in my pocket--and I needed to spend them or I'd lose them--I decided to add A Girl for All Time CLEMENTINE to my hoard...I mean family of dolls.  She's a little British girl from WWII.  Here is a stock photo of her:
I'm ashamed to say that I haven't really given her any attention since she arrived, other than removing her from her box and admiring her pretty outfit and cute hair.  I have two, other A Girl for All Time dolls--Matilda and Amelia.  They are just lovely, and Clementine is no exception.

So I happened to be at Goodwill today when I spotted a porcelain doll lying on the shelf, amidst all the other porcelain dolls that people can't even seem to give away anymore.  I know they used to cost a pretty penny, but now?  It's so sad.  Now they are sold for pennies on the dollar, if even that.  However, this is actually a good thing for me, since I am always hunting for shoes, socks, clothing, wigs, eyes, accessories, etc. that I can use for my other dolls.  The first thing I saw were the bottoms of the boots, and the price tag for $4.  This piqued my interest.  Upon closer inspection, I noticed that the entire outfit was very nicely made (metal snaps for fasteners--no Velcro), and the boots were just too cute!  I had to buy her, if only for the boots.  I figured those boots had to fit at least one of my dolls, and maybe the dress, too.



Once I removed the outfit from the doll, I thought by the looks of it that it might fit A Girl for All Time.  I decided to try it on Clementine, just for fun.  And guess what???  It fit!  Perfectly!  Every single piece!  How awesome is that?

I know that Clementine is supposed to represent a little girl from the 1940's, but I think she looks simply adorable dressed up as a little Edwardian era girl, too.

Like I said before, the dress is a very, nice quality.  It fastens in the back and on the wrists with snaps.  The fabric appears to be a sheer cotton in a light, peachy color with lace insertion and satin ribbon at the waist.

But these boots!!!  How cute are they?!?  Honestly, I bought the doll just for her boots.  The socks are a nice, thick cotton and go all the way up her thighs.

I couldn't believe how perfectly everything fit on my Clementine.  It was as if it was all made just for her.  I do love sewing for my dolls, but sometimes it's nice to find a ready-made outfit that I didn't have to put a bunch of blood, sweat, and tears into!

Here is Clem, standing next to the doll who so graciously gave up her wardrobe for my doll...but don't worry...I will give her another outfit and re-donate her back to the thrift store.

Isn't she so sweet?  Even the hair ribbon came as part of the outfit.  I really do want to sew some 1940's style clothing for her, but in the meanwhile, I will keep her dressed as a little Edwardian girl.  I think it suits her.

The moral of this story:  Don't forget to check out all those poor, neglected porcelain dolls at the thrift stores!  They may have a lot to offer in the way of clothing, shoes, wigs, etc.  Your dollies will thank you!  (And you will feel so smart for being thrifty!)







No comments:

Post a Comment