Maud Humphrey

Maud Humphrey

Wednesday, January 29, 2014

New Sundress for my American Girl Molly

I am teaching another sewing class this Friday to some young ladies from our church.  One of the girls owns the following book, and asked if we could make one of the outfits:
 
It is a nice book with basic patterns to create 12 outfits, all made from fat quarters.
 
The girls decided that this is the outfit they wanted to make first:
 
I  rummaged through my stash and came up with two, sweet, vintage-looking prints that worked well together.
 
The only changes I made to the original pattern was to shorten the shoulder straps by one inch.  I also chose to make the bodice tie from the skirt fabric, instead of the bodice fabric.
 
I love the little details, like the button-trimmed pocket and the contrasting hem band.  The dress closes in back with two snaps.
 
I chose Molly to model this dress because the poor dear hasn't had any new clothes in ever so long!  I think the colors look lovely on her.  She looks happy, don't you think?
This is a pre-Mattel Molly, made by Pleasant Company.  I love these earlier dolls, because I think they have nicer wigs, longer and softer eyelashes, and slightly rounder faces.  Of course, I still like the current American Girls, too!  I keep trying to justify how I can go about adding Rebecca, Caroline, Marie Grace and Cecile to my collection...someday!
 
 
 
 
 
 


 

1 comment:

  1. Molly looks very happy with her pretty new dress! I love it! And how fun that you're teaching that class to the girls. I bet they just love it!

    ReplyDelete