Maud Humphrey

Maud Humphrey

Friday, May 11, 2012

The Easter Dress That Wasn't

I bought this fabric last year, with the full intention of using it to make an Easter dress for Sophie.  Well,  that didn't happen.

But I didn't stress about it--I just figured I'd use it for this year's Easter dress.  Wrong again.

Somehow, time had slipped away from me, and so had two Easters.

As I was organizing my fabric bins last week, I came across the neatly folded fabric.  "I'm supposed to be an Easter dress" it seemed to say.   But Easter was last month.  Surely I could just save it for next Easter?

But then I realized that if I waited one more year, there definitely wouldn't be enough fabric to make a dress for an almost 4 year old.  I had only bought a little over a yard of the pink bunny print because at the time, Sophia was probably half the size she is now.  I also bought about the same amount of the coordinating brown print.  If I was ever going to make a dress out of these fabrics, the time was NOW.  Besides, bunnies are cute.  They don't have to be just for Easter, right?

I decided on a simple sundress.  Of course, once I got started, I couldn't leave it very "simple".    I love frilly, fancy, and froofy!  I started with a basic bodice pattern, and then altered it to create a sweetheart neckline.  Because I didn't have enough of the bunny fabric for a full skirt, I also added side panels of the coordinating brown print. 

The side panels needed a "little something", so I decided to add strips of ruffles.  I also added an underskirt with another ruffle along the bottom.  This gives the skirt lots of body.

All in all, I'm very happy with how this turned out.  The colors are some of my favorites--soft, peachy pink, warm brown. and cream.  It has great "twirl-a-bility" and lots of visual interest.  The only thing I would change is the depth of the armholes.  They ended up being a tad bit too large.  Oh well.  Live and learn.  I did, however, use everything from my "stash".  I did not have to go out and purchase anything to complete this project, not even the buttons!  I just happened to find three, matching buttons in the right shade of pink in my button jar.  It was meant to be, I guess!

We are finally having enough warm weather so that Sophie can wear this dress without a sweater.  Now that is something to be happy about!

No comments:

Post a Comment