Maud Humphrey

Maud Humphrey

Sunday, March 25, 2012

A Bag and a Bonnet

A couple of days ago, I finally decided to sew this pattern which I bought last year. It is the "Sweet Harmony" Handbag & Tote by Amy Butler. There are patterns for two different sizes--I made the larger one. The dimensions are approximately 18" wide, 12" tall (not counting the straps), and 3" deep. There are no closures on the larger tote, but the smaller handbag calls for a zipper.

Here is my version. I followed the pattern exactly (which is unusual for me!). I love the way it turned out. I ended up using four, different, coordinating prints, all from my stash. I used up three of the fabric pieces completely (yeah!), so my fabric hoard is slowly getting smaller.

Isn't this a cute print? I'm a sucker for anything vintage looking. I bought this fabric several years ago, but I can't even remember exactly where or when. It is a Michael Miller print called "Lil Rascals". I paired it with a pretty, brown floral for the sides and bottom, and a brown dot fabric for the piping on the outer pockets. I'm thinking of making this again, only in the smaller handbag size. I really do need a new purse, and this pattern turns out so nice.

Another project recently completed...a crocheted bonnet for this sweet baby doll! Let me tell you, I worked and worked AND worked a long time to finally figure out this pattern. I didn't think it would be so difficult! And actually, the pattern isn't really that hard if you are an experienced crocheter. But I don't think it worded things very clearly for a beginner like me. So I spent a lot of time, and I mean a LOT, unraveling stitches and beginning over again and again. But I finally got it!

A back view. I wish the pattern booklet would have shown pictures like this so I could have known if I was doing it right. But it only shows one view from the front, so I had to keep guessing.

This is the cute pattern book that tricked me into thinking crocheting doll clothes was going to be easy!

I'm glad I stuck with it, though. The end result is pretty dog-gone cute, if I must say so myself. But you know what's kind of ironic? I made this little bonnet, not worrying about the size, because I figured that it would probably fit at least a dozen of the dolls in my large collection. Wrong. After trying it on about twenty little heads with no luck, I finally discovered that it would only fit this little 8" Berenguer baby! But now that I know how it turns out, I can adjust the size up or down for a larger or smaller doll. I have lots of little baby dolls with bald heads, so I'll definitely be trying this one again!

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful job on both the purse and the doll hat!! You are so very talented!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, thank you! I don't always feel that talented when it's taking me FOREVER to learn something (like crochet!)--I was starting to feel like a dunce!

      Delete