Maud Humphrey

Maud Humphrey

Thursday, March 8, 2012

Another Edith Twirl Skirt and the "Fluffy Die Coat"

I've been wanting to make another Edith Twirl skirt ever since I completed the first one. Sophia gets compliments every time she wears it, so I figured she could use another one in colors perfect for spring.
This is the main fabric I used...a buttery-soft, baby-wale corduroy that I picked up at JoAnn's several years ago (maybe six?). It is sprinkled with classic Pooh Bear and Piglet, and couldn't be any cuter. I have been hoarding it all these years, and finally decided to use a bit of it for this skirt. I'm so glad I did!
Here you can definitely see the "twirl-a-bility". Which is exactly what Sophia does every time she pulls on this skirt.
The skirt is made from five, coordinating fabrics. They are all visible, except for the pink, checkered cotton which I used for the underskirt--it only shows when she twirls or sits.
I would love to make a matching peasant-style top to go with this dress, maybe using the yellow fabric that's part of the hem band. In the meanwhile, we paired the skirt with a cute, yellow t-shirt. And because it's still too cold here to go without sleeves, we topped the shirt with her "fluffy die coat". It took me awhile to figure out why she calls this little jacket what she does, but she named it that because in one of her favorite movies "Despicable Me", one of the little girls exclaims "It's so fluffy, I'm gonna die!" when she receives a stuffed animal. This became Sophie's favorite saying, and she applied it to anything that she thought was "fluffy". Apparently, this little jacket fit her definition of the word, so it has been and always will be her "fluffy die coat".

2 comments:

  1. Another adorable skirt! You have the cutest little model too!! (Almost her birthday too!!) I love seeing what you make. Good job!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm glad I challenged myself to sew more this year. It's so rewarding, and hopefully making a small dent in my fabric stash!

      Delete