Maud Humphrey

Maud Humphrey

Thursday, September 5, 2019

Pleasant Company Kirsten and a New Outfit!

A few years ago, I sold both my Addy and Kirsten American Girl dolls.  I had bought them second hand, they weren't in the best condition, and I never really "bonded" with them.  So I didn't think they needed to take up space in my collection, and I didn't think I'd miss them
.  Lately though, I've been regretting my decision and really wanting them back!  So I found the Addy in my one of my Facebook groups, and just a few short days later, I found Kirsten on Facebook Marketplace!

Isn't she pretty?

I bought her from her original owner who had tears in her eyes when she handed her over to me.  She had many, lovely memories of playing with her as an older child, and took such good care of her.  She is in immaculate condition.  Her hair was still in it's original braids.  Her limbs are tight, her body clean.  Just perfect!

She came with her original dress and two other, original outfits.  But I still felt the need to make something "just for her".

I made her this pretty dress with a dainty, striped print and a sheer, cotton apron.

The apron is Simplicity 1391 again.  The fabric is a sheer cotton with a "windowpane" design woven in.  I added a strip of vintage, insertion lace on the bodice, and also along the hemline.  This pattern went together very quickly and has nice details, like the flanges along the shoulders.

It simply ties in the back.

The dress is my own design.  I studied lots of antique photos of little girls' fashions from the 1850's, and discovered that there were a lot of options:  high necklines, wide necklines, and even off-the-shoulder necklines.  Long sleeves, short sleeves.  Gathered bodices, plain bodices.  So this is my interpretation--a gathered midriff, short sleeves, wide neckline, and a very, full skirt.

I added a bias strip of the fabric at the hemline to add some visual interest.  It is trimmed in a sweet, picot-edge bias tape.

The bodice also has piping at the upper bodice and waistband.

Back view

I couldn't leave well enough alone, and just HAD to undo her original braids!  Then I couldn't put them back again to look the same.  So I invented a new hairstyle for her which I think turned out adorable!  I lightly French-braided down the sides, finished braiding all the way down to the ends, and then looped each braid across the back of her head to the opposite side and secured it with a bow.

This doll is most likely from around 1995, based on her short, body tag (which states Pleasant Company 1986, made in Germany), and the Pleasant Company marking on the back of her neck.  I would love to own a white body Kirsten someday, but until then, I just love my pretty, new Kirsten!












6 comments:

  1. Indeed, she is a very pretty Kirsten! I hope the previous owner takes solace in knowing she went to a good home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous! I love these old-fashioned designs. I don't know how you get time to sew with all those darling grand children of yours, but I love when you post something new on your dolly page.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Loretta! I don't have as much time to sew as I'd like, but I do manage to squeeze it in whenever I can. There are certainly never enough hours in the day!

      Delete
  3. Your Kirsten is beautiful! I love her dress and her new hair style. She is one of my favorites for American Girl. I learned about these dolls after my granddaughter was born and she and I both has a few each. I kept collecting until I finally had a white bodied Samantha with lighter brown hair, a white bodied Kirsten and a white bodied Molly. These were the first three original AG dolls. Several years ago I sold my entire collection. Granddaughter had her own and was not interested in mine. She has sold all of hers now too, except for Julie and Camille. This post brings back lots of happy memories. Blessings! ~Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for your kind comments! The American Girls will always hold a special place in my heart, as I love the entire concept behind them. Lucky that you have white-bodied beauties! Someday I hope to own some of those, as well.

    ReplyDelete