Maud Humphrey

Maud Humphrey

Monday, July 17, 2017

Recent Dolly Treasures from Local Shows

Sometimes I don't blog for awhile because I don't think I have anything of interest to share.  And then I go to an antique show, like I did this past weekend, and realize that I never showed you things I brought home from the antique show before that one!  Oh, well.  Better late than never, I suppose.  Anyway, doesn't this group make you happy?
 
I've had the buggy in my collection for several years and showed it to you before, so it isn't new.  But it was the perfect height to go along with my new SHIRLEY TEMPLE doll I just bought this past weekend!  I also found the pink bunny and the little Kathe Kruse doll at the same show.  The mini bears in the buggy and the stuffed kitten are from previous shows.
 
Shirley Temple--she's been a favorite of my mine ever since I was a little girl and watched all of her old, black and white movies which I recall playing on Saturday afternoons.  As I grew older and realized there were dolls made in her likeness, I wanted one SO BAD.  I had the cutest, 11" composition Shirley in my collection for several years, but finally sold it a while back, thinking I needed to clear out some dolls to make room for new ones.  MISAKE!  I've missed her ever since.  I really don't know what I was thinking.  So when I stumbled across this 13" composition cutie at the antique show this past weekend, I immediately knew she had to come home with me.  She is in really good condition, with minimal crazing.  Her eyes are clear and bright with no missing lashes.  She has a full, soft, mohair wig with those famous curls.  Her former owner made her a reproduction dress and undies which are very nicely done.  Her stringing has come a little loose, so she can't stand unaided.  But I just happen to have a good friend (hi, Donna!) who will help me restring her.  She just makes me so happy!
 
Her mohair wig is in beautiful shape.  Many times, these dolls have crushed and matted wigs from being in storage, so I am very pleased that this isn't the case with this doll.
 
Her outfit is adorable, and a copy of the original.  Shirley Temple outfits are usually tagged, so when I didn't find a tag on this one, I knew it had been handmade.  I will be replacing the synthetic, pink bows with silk ribbon ones, just to make the dress more authentic.
 
Here are the little friends that Shirley wanted to push in the buggy.  Forgive me if I have shown them to you before, but I don't think I have.  They are both newer, artist made bears, sewn from mohair.  They are jointed at their hips, shoulders, and neck.  The cream-colored bear is 5 1/2", and the pink one stands just 3 1/4"!
 
They make perfect props for smaller dolls.
 
How cute is he?  Even though it's pink, I still think of it as a "he".  Maybe it's the expression?  There's no tag, so I don't know who made him.  But he's a mid-century toy for certain.  So cute.  He will be a perfect decoration in an Easter basket next spring.  He's about 15" to the tip of his ears.
 
Don't you just love that expression?  The vendor where I bought this rabbit had another, smaller one.  I almost bought it, too, but decided one was enough.  Now I wish I had brought it home as well.  It was white and made in Japan.  I'm finding that I've become a sucker for vintage, stuffed animals.
 
I couldn't believe my good fortune when I found this 10 1/2" Kathe Kruse baby!  He's a limited edition, probably made for a doll convention.  According to his wooden hang-tag, his name is "Paul" and he is number 52 out of 75 made back in 2003.  His body is a very, firmly stuffed cotton, and his head is a hard material (new composition, resin?) which is softly hand-painted like the originals.  I love him.  My German grandfather's name was Paul, so this seems like he was meant to become a part of my doll family!  I have looked and looked on the internet for another like him, but have found nothing yet.  He was part of such a small production, that I may never see another like him again.
 
His stuffed friend is this sweet, well-loved kitty I picked up at a local antique store a few months back.  I just couldn't leave it behind!  Anything miniature tugs at my heart strings.  Throw in the fact that it's a vintage, stuffed animal, and you don't have to twist my arm!
 
So, those are some of my recent treasures.  I'm sure there are more I haven't told you about!
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 


6 comments:

  1. Absolutely adorable! The top photo would make a fantastic card! You should add your name and sell them on Etsy. I think they would sell like hotcakes.
    I believe I have the exact same Shirley Temple. I believe her dress is original, but her wig may not be. However I looked for years before I found her, so I was happy. I'll try to remember to blog about her soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Loretta, you are too kind! And yes, please do show off your Shirley in an upcoming blog post. I'd love to see her!

      Delete
  2. You find the best stuff! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! You only see the good stuff I find...I can't tell you how many times I walk out of thrift stores empty-handed...especially lately. Summer must not be the time for people to clean out and donate stuff!

      Delete
  3. A very sweet grouping. Shirley was a wonderful find indeed. I love them all.
    🌞🌞🌞

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks you, Shelley! I do love my Shirley.

      Delete