Maud Humphrey

Maud Humphrey

Tuesday, October 9, 2012

A Target Tour and a Little Window Shopping

We like this store.
 
My eldest is a manager at a brand-new Target in our area that will open this weekend.  Today was the ribbon-cutting ceremony, and a select few people (friends and family of Target employees) got to attend by special invitation before the store is officially opened to the public.  My son gave us two invitations, and because my husband couldn't go, I had to choose one of my children to accompany me.  Hmmm.   Not easy, since everybody wanted to go!  In the end it was decided that son #4 should be the lucky one, since he doesn't get to go many places with me on his own, and it was his birthday last week.
 
Upon entering the store, we were handed coupons for free Burgerville meals and a donut.  We also got gift bags with assorted coupons.  Then we hung out in my younger son's favorite aisle until my oldest son could join us.
 
This kid still has some birthday money to spend, so he was debating about which Lego set he could afford.  Speaking of, I cleaned the playroom yesterday--deep cleaned, to be more specific, and I spent over an hour cleaning and sorting the HUGE box of Legos we already own.  Among other things, I also found silverware, Barbie shoes, underwear (don't ask) and rotten banana peels mixed in with the bazillion trillion Lego bricks.  I really don't think we need any more Legos.  When I happened to mention that to my son, he responded that he didn't think I needed any more dolls, either.  Okay.  Point made.
 
So this is the one he decided on.  I have to admit, it's a pretty neat set.  And I always like it when there are characters included.  Lego people are so cute!
 
Eldest son took us behind this mysterious door...(okay, so it's pretty self-explanatory and not very mysterious! but still...)
 
He has his own desk and phone and everything.  Although I didn't see a picture of his wonderful family pinned on the wall.  I'll have to remedy that.
 
We did a little window shopping in the toy aisles, and I found some games that might make it under the Christmas tree this year.  This one looked like lots of fun for the kids.  A lot like Pictionary, but instead of drawing, you have to create the item from Legos.  I would seriously lose at this game, since I am horrible at building with Legos.   I could possibly make a little house, or maybe a very simple car, but that's about it.  My boys, on the other hand, come up with the most intricate, creative things that really work.  Like money banks that have electronic motors attached which open secret compartments.  Or remote controlled cars.  All out of Legos.  It blows my mind.
 
We love Apples to Apples, and already own both the adult and junior versions.  But this is Disney.  Enough said.
 
I've heard lots of good things about the adult version of this game, and now that there's a kid's version, I'm even more interested.
 
Ahhh, the Fur Real animals.  I must admit, I love these things!  I have several that I've bought over the past few years just for myself--like the little lamb, duckling, chicky, and squirrel.  The lamb is my favorite.  So, so cute.  And now they have these bunnies that hop.  My 3 year old would LOVE one.  They are soft and cute like a real rabbit, but unlike a real rabbit, it wouldn't poop on the floor or be mauled by the dog.  I think this is a win-win situation.
 
And last but not least, Target now offers these adorable animal families (probably competition to the Calico Critters line sold in specialty toy shops).  This is the Whooswhoos owl family.  How cute are they?  There were several others, like a beaver, turtle, and rabbit family, but I loved the owls the best.  After close inspection, I noted that the heads and arms are movable, but the legs are stationary.  They happened to be on sale for around $7, so I didn't think the price was unreasonable.  These may end up at my house someday.  Although now that I'm looking at them again, I'm finding it kind of odd that they have arms instead of wings.  Shouldn't owls have wings?  Of course they should.  Maybe I'm over thinking this.  Regardless, they are still really cute.
 
In other news, I haven't sat down at my sewing machine in over two weeks.   No, I am not proud of myelf.   Yes, I feel guilty.  I am seriously falling behind on my New Year's goal of sewing at least one new thing every week.  Hopefully, I will remedy that soon.  I STILL have my queen sized bed quilt that needs to be finished, so I suppose I should just buckle down and do it.  It will definitely make it's debut here on this blog, as soon as I do!
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

2 comments:

  1. So the new Target is open now to the public?? I need to get over there and check it out. I love the ideas you have for gifts. I haven't seen those games before. I love the owl family too, don't know what to say about arms instead of wings though!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This Target won't be open to the general public until this weekend...I think Saturday? But then Andrew also mentioned that they'll be letting people in to shop a day or so before that, they just won't be advertising that they're officially open until Saturday. It seems like a really huge store, but maybe that's because it's all on one level now. Go check it out this weekend!

      Delete